“If Black women were free, it would mean that everyone else would have to be free since our freedom would necessitate the destruction of all the systems of oppression.”
-Combahee River Collective
The Womanist Working Collective functions as a Community of Practice whose primary focus is
centering the Quality of Life for Black women (both cis & trans), femmes, girls and Gender Non-conforming folks. Our work unapologetically centers our Quality of Life and livelihoods through Community Organizing, Philanthropy and Self-care.
- To exist as a supportive and empowering community network to shift Black womyn & femmes in moving past merely surviving, but thriving; Prioritizing physical, emotional, moral and social safety (or trauma-informed care practice) and the overall health and wellness of our members.
2. To transition ourselves and our communities into an Ecologically Just* society. This umbrella concept encompasses centering justice (racial justice, economic justice, gender justice, reproductive justice, environmental justice, etc.) and dismantling oppression (read: Imperialist White Supremacist Capitalist CisHeteroPatriarchy).
*[Ecologically Just] Ecological justice (JUSTICE BASED ON APPLIED KNOWLEDGE OF HOME) Ecological Justice is the state of balance between human communities and healthy ecosystems based on thriving, mutually beneficial relationships and participatory self-governance. We see Ecological Justice as the key frame to capture our holistic vision of a better way forward.
3. Black Liberation!
“Womanism is a social change perspective rooted in Black women’s and other women of color’s everyday experiences and everyday methods of problem solving in everyday spaces, extended to the problem of ending all forms of oppression for all people, restoring the balance between people and the environment/nature, and reconciling human life with the spiritual dimension.” -Layli Maparyan, PhD, MS
- Dismantling the Imperialist Capitalist White Supremacist CisHeteroPatriarchy
- Practicing Ecological Justice frameworks
- Embodying Healing Justice, Restorative Justice & Pleasure Activism practices
Radical Time Banking is essentially time banking rooted in dismantling systems of oppression and centering the often more marginalize within Communities of Color, so Black womyn, Queer & Trans folks, disabled/differently-abled folks, immigrants, folks in the underground economy(sex workers, drug dealers, workers paid under-the-table), etc. Time Banking that practices both Healing Justice and Just Transitions frameworks.
- Divest from:
- Disposability Politics
- Rugged Individualism
- Internalized Oppressions (i.e. Poverty Shaming)
- Invest in:
- Increase community/civic engagement & participation
- Financial Interdependence
- Intentional Community building
- Mobilizing community resources
- Promotes Kindness, Trust & Compassion for your people
- Creating Our own solutions
All of our projects are grassroots-based, citywide and centers organizing, educating and activating communities into practices of Self-determination by develop solutions that de-center The State and it’s agents (i.e. Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice System, Corporations/Business, Gentrification/Developers, Government, etc.). As such, the work we do to create alternatives to current systems in place don’t involve working with these agents, but working outside of them/this system in order to strengthen long-term divesting-to-dismantle strategies. We follow Movement Generations “Just Transitions framework” which affirms that “constructing a visionary economy for life calls for strategies that democratize, decentralize and diversify economic activity while we damper down consumption, and (re)distribute resources and power”. This framework informs the strategy of our work to place the power back in the hands of the people instead of looking to the very same people and systems who got us here.